Oct 2017 Jhpiego Adolescent and Youth Health Advisor New Job in Kenya
Oct 2017 Jhpiego Adolescent and Youth Health Advisor Current Job in Kenya
We are seeking to recruit an experienced individual who has excellent organizational and technical skills, is a team player, dedicated, hardworking, innovative, highly motivated and able to work in a high-pressure environment requiring multi-tasking abilities.
Adolescent and Youth Health Advisor
Job ID: 2017-3007
Category: International Positions
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of party, the Adolescent and Youth Health Advisor will provide technical leadership and project oversight to address female and male adolescents and youth needs in RH/FP, MNH and nutrition in the 4 counties of Kakamega, Kisumu, Kitui and Migori.
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate adolescent and youth-centered project activities
- Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to:
- Strengthening community mobilization in adolescent and youth health programming, including FP
- Increasing the use of appropriate IT and social media to meet the health and FP needs of adolescents and youth
- Ensure that FP training addresses adolescent and youth-centered evidence based services
- Provide technical assistance for conducting site assessments and strengthening referral systems, in-service training and supportive supervision
- Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support, across project sites as required
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted adolescent/youth services
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Work with health care workers, county governments, community members and project team members to identify community-based service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of services
- Identify and implement appropriate facility and community based strategies to address adolescent/youth service delivery gaps
- Identify training needs for HCWs and community health volunteers and assist in the design and implementation of measures to address those needs
- Work closely with the team members on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from county counterparts
- Work with MEL staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to adolescent and youth services to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners to ensure that all activities conform to the requirements and regulations
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for adolescent and youth-sensitive services
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
- Maintain excellent relationships with USAID and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid responses to their requests
- Provide technical leadership to the development the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring for timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Kenya’s healthcare system
- Advanced degree in in adolescent health, medicine, nursing/midwifery, social science, social work, social communication, public health or related field
- 7+ years’ experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in adolescent/youth services programming
- Demonstrated and relevant international, regional or national experience, expertise and knowledge, including research, activity implementation, management, strong technical skills, capacity building and institutional development
- Demonstrated experience training HCWs and CHVs on adolescent/youth services and programming
- Proven expertise in effective adolescent/youth health programming; knowledge of adolescent/youth physical and psychosocial development and knowledge of gender behaviors related to adolescent health and FP
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas:
- strengthening service delivery projects
- performance and quality improvement
- monitoring and evaluation
- and specifically, achieving increased community mobilization and stakeholder support for adolescent/youth health services
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in adolescent/youth necessary for strengthening adolescent/youth service delivery at the facility and community levels
- Experience with achieving adolescent and youth behavior change results through use of IT and social media
- Familiarity with USAID’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, county counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Demonstrated management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills, with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in the public, NGO and private for-profit sectors
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send application & CV with 3 referees to the following email address: HR.Kenya@jhpiego.org by 1st November 2017.
Indicate how your education and experience qualifies you for the position.
Please include three references with your application.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Jhpiego is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Persons with disabilities and other minority groups are encouraged to apply