Oct 2017 Jhpiego Gender Advisor New Job in Kenya
Oct 2017 Jhpiego Gender Advisor Job Vacancy in Kenya
Jhpiego is a nonprofit NGO that prevents the needless deaths of women and families in limited resources settings.
To accomplish this, Jhpiego implements innovative evidence-based solutions for intractable problems in health to overcome barriers to high-quality care services for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego is the lead implementing partner for Afya Halisi, a USAID’s five year project which aims to deliver quality, integrated services in the areas of family planning (FP) / reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH), nutrition, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in the focus counties of Kitui, Migori, Kakamega and Kisumu.
We are seeking to recruit an experienced individual who has excellent organizational and technical skills, is a team player, dedicated, hardworking, innovative, highly motivated and able to work in a high-pressure environment requiring multi-tasking abilities.
Gender Advisor Job ID: 2017-3008Category: International Positions
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Party, the Gender Advisor will be responsible for integrating gender into policy, culture, service delivery and in other elements of programming.
This includes implementing activities related to the influence of gender norms and sociocultural practices on FP/RMNCAH, nutrition and WASH programming, including in the areas of prevention and management of SGBV.
Advisor will also liaise with other staff and county teams at the health facility and community levels to identify and implement activities to address the gaps and obstacles related to optimum uptake of FP/RMNCAH, nutrition and WASH and mainstream gender into programming.Responsibilities
- Provide oversight to implementation and coordination of interventions for gender mainstreaming within project interventions
- Provide leadership to develop tools for organizational gender audit and gender analysis at the county level
- Provide leadership during gender analysis and the development and implementation of gender action plan being guided by specific sociocultural contexts
- Provide leadership in the design of gender and SGBV community sensitization activities through adaptation of existing BCC materials to transform norms
- Provide leadership during development and systematic implementation of monitoring and reporting framework for interventions for the gender mainstreaming and prevention and management of SGBV
- Build the capacity of HCWs on gender mainstreaming and integration targeting staff and partners as well as on SGBV prevention and management using a multi-sectoral approach
- Provide leadership on program learning for gender related interventions, including the development of scientifically and ethically sound research proposals and study tools, data management, advocacy plans and dissemination of research findings through multiple channels including abstracts for conferences and manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed scientific journals
- Provide technical support to staff, sub-grantees and other stakeholders including government agencies to assess and analyze the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of existing efforts in integrating gender within their policies around FP/RMNCAH, nutrition and WASH
- Contribute to the development and/or adaptation of national and international policies on SGBV to the local context
- Provide leadership during development of project proposals, concept notes and publications on gender mainstreaming and SGBV interventions
- Lead the preparation of annual work plans and project reports on the gender element of the project as per donor regulations
- Participate in presentation of reports to the donor on project implementation related to gender norms
- Document and share with the donor and other stakeholders lessons learned during implementation of gender interventions
- Develop technical and scientific capacity of staff within the project and MOH
- Provide guidance, mentorship and supervision of line staff
- Actively participate the resource mobilization as required
- Experience working within the devolved health system in Kenya
- Advanced degree in degree in social science, social work, public health
- 7+ years’ first-hand experience in gender mainstreaming and/or SGBV programming
- Knowledge of current global and regional public health debates on gender interventions
- Proven experience and skills in research and advocacy and writing high quality donor reports
- Proven experience working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
- Ability to extensively travel for project monitoring and provide on-site technical support to field teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an multicultural and matrix management environment with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
How to ApplyInterested applicants should send application & CV with 3 referees to the following email address: HR.Kenya@jhpiego.org by 1st November 2017.
Indicate how your education and experience qualifies you for the position.
Please include three references with your application.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Jhpiego is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Persons with disabilities and other minority groups are encouraged to apply